Welcome

Welcome
John William Tuohy lives in Washington DC

I wish I wrote these sentences


“The stars were drunk with the brilliance of their own indescribable colors.”   Ben Okri, The Famished Road

Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.” Ally Condie, Matched


“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” Steve Martin



“Day and night, like an incubus, the idea chokes me that my life has been wasted irretrievably. I’ve got no past, it’s been stupidly squandered on trivialities, and the present is horrible in its absurdity. Here, take my life and my love; what am I to do with them? My better feelings are fading away for no reason at all, like a sunbeam trapped at the bottom of a mine shaft, and I’m fading along with them.” Uncle Vanya, Anton Chekhov




Callithump: A noisy boisterous band or parade.
Callithump and the related adjective callithumpian are Americanisms, but their roots stretch back to England. In the 19th century, the noun callithumpians was used in the U.S. of boisterous roisterers who had their own makeshift New Year's parade. Their band instruments consisted of crude noisemakers such as pots, tin horns, and cowbells. The antecedent of callithumpians is an 18th-century British dialect term for another noisy group, the "Gallithumpians," who made a rumpus on election days in southern England. Today, the words callithump and callithumpian see occasional use, especially in the names of specific bands and parades. The callithumpian bands and parades of today are more organized than those of the past, but they retain an association with noise and boisterous fun.




Masterworks of Ming
by Kay Ryan
  
Ming, Ming
 such a lovely
 thing blue
 and white

bowls and
 basins glow
 in museum
 light 

they would
 be lovely
 filled with
 rice or
 water 

so nice
 adjunct
 to dinner 

or washing
 a daughter 

a small
 daughter
 of course
 since it's
 a small basin 

first you
 would put
 one then 

the other
 end in